Friday 23 March 2012

What Slant?

A map of the wood in about 1950 shows  a  "Disused Slant", above the stream but is maddeningly unspecific about its exact location. I know that there is a battered and rusty Dram near the stream and a possible spoil heap nearby.

My 4th visit aimed to locate the Slant but there are no obvious places. Perhaps it would help if I knew what I was looking for! Found the Dram which is on the spit of land between the 2 streams, that run in opposite directions to each other. Adjacent to the Dram is a spoil heap which has black stone in it. From the Dram itself I pulled a large lump of very heavy black rock but is it coal or iron ore? The stream  runs through an orange coloured patch of ground so iron ore seems likely. I would have preferred it to be coal though to keep the home fires burning! Rosie likes it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment